Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Raid

Crochet swatch of a baby blanket found on Pinterest.  Maybe make a big one for me?


Orphan blocks found during the cleaning raid and turned into coasters. Knitted washcloth.
I like the way February is starting out.  Lots of little busy work and errands to run, but no pressure from the outside world.  Rain showers and sunshine mixed together, dogs snoozing on the couch, quiet afternoons spent playing with yarn and fabric.
I  devoted three whole days to cleaning my sewing room.  What a scene that was.  Rather like a police raid.  No warning, just rush in and take prisoners.  Every closet, box, bin, drawer and bag was dumped out, searched and sorted.  Spread across the floor, the mess threatened to burst out into the hallway, smothering anything in its path (remember that old movie called The Blob?  It just kind of rolled around and sucked up cars, people, movie theaters.  Like that).   My husband would come in every once in a while, look around at the chaos and walk out without saying a word.  Smart man.  I'm sure he was wondering about dinner, or the lack of it.
 I actually had to leave the room at one point because the fabric/yarn dust caused an allergic sneezing fit, complete with watery eyes.  There was talk of hazmat suits.  Whatever.  I sent three large bags to the Goodwill (should have been more), and painstakingly folded all my fabric and lovingly tucked it back into the drawers.  It was a joy to behold.   Really though, I give it about 4 months before it turns back into a dog's breakfast. 

Now I need a new book to read.  Any recommendations?  I want to keep track of everything I've read this year and so far in January there were five. Katherine, The Hands on Home, Big Magic, The Martian, and Gaia's Garden.  The last one sounds like it could be a romance or fantasy novel, but it's really about understanding Permaculture and how to incorporate it into your yard.  Cool stuff.  To be honest I didn't finish The Martian.  I ended up watching the movie (good!) so there was no motivation to keep reading.  Just as well. The book had several pages of technical scientific NASA speak, which I skipped over with regularity.  I hope some day I don't find myself in a dire situation, where everyone is about to perish, and I am kicking myself for not reading the paragraphs on how to properly release hydrazine over an iridium catalyst and turn it into N2 and H2.  Then burn it without blowing myself up. 
Oh well.  I can make a quilt.  Does that count?



8 comments:

  1. It counts big time. Let someone else help out with the other details.:) Very brave of you to to the quilt room deep clean. I'm gearing up for one myself but don't want to start anything I can't finish within the next day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so much fun! Look at you cleaning out your room, I bet you feel so much lighter. Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am quite impressed with your fabric storage! I love how you repurposed the quilt squares into coasters! They're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a quilt will at least be a comfort for you Lynne! And a good clean up is a great way to start the new year! I have been keeping track of all the books I have read for the last ten years! Have you read "Girl on the Train" or anything by Kate Atkinson, or Kate Morton- highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you forget how to release hydrozine or whatever, just Google it. Meanwhile, now I have to sort my fabric just like yours. Vertical! In drawers! Orderly! Girl, how do you keep on getting me to start new projects? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course making a quilt counts - a much better skill!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh well done you! Would you come and do mine? My sewing room is horrible at the moment, bags and heaps of fabrics all waiting to be folded and put away, so much needs sorting out. I am such a messy sewer.Your husband sounds like mine, just interested in whats for dinner!
    Just catching up with you as I've been away from blogging for a few months. Hope all well Lynne xx
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!