Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A little sugar

Well here we are deep into the Christmas season.  I've got the music playing, the tree up, the halls decked, and the daily whump of cardboard packages hitting the front porch.
I'm stacking these up in my son's half empty room while he's at school.
I can't wait to start drinking wrapping.

Anyway, I have hardly touched anything crafty this week, (I did attempt a striped crochet blanket, but after about 20 rows into it, I decided it looked like the cuff of a men's athletic sock, you know the white ones with the colored stripes at the top? Uh-gly. So I ripped it out), but did manage to finish the pillow that goes with my daughter's quilt in the last post.
 I found this free quilt pattern here, after starting her quilt.  I would like to have made the whole quilt like this, but just made one block and turned it into a pillow.  

I'm very, very far behind on my Quiltmania Advent blocks.  Seriously, I'm thinking of making only one per month from now on, thereby finishing up by next Christmas. They are a lot of fun, but I'm finding them quite time consuming.  I guess if I wasn't wasting my time crocheting blankets that look like men's socks, I would be much farther along.  Oh well.
Here are the next four blocks.
Last, but not least, what is Christmas without all those sugar-laden desserts to tempt your waistline right out of your jeans and into sweatpants?  My daughter made these while we were decorating the tree on Sunday, in the late afternoon just before dinner.  Cinnamon rolls for dinner?  Okay.
The recipe says to bake them in a cast iron skillet, but I'm sure any kind of pan will do. The icing goes on after they have cooled slightly.  Oh, and we added brown sugar in place of some of the white sugar.  Made it a bit more caramelized as you can see by the bottom of the pan. 

 Yeah, they were really good.





8 comments:

  1. Those advent blocks are so good x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Advent blocks would take forever! Next Christmas seems to be a much better deadline! Love the gift pillow- a perfect Christmas decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are very busy, but being very productive. Did your house smelly yummy?
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, cinnamon rolls. They didn't even last long enough to be photographed! Sounds like that recipe is a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud at your drinking/crafting comment. Hahaha! Those cinnamon sound delicious! I'm always in for cinnamon rolls for dinner, lunch, or breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't all of this THE best part of Christmas!! Love the pillow so much!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have that daily 'whump' of boxes hitting our porch too. LOVE the pillow for your daughter! It will really be special alongside the quilt.:) Good idea for the Advent blocks, the one a month. They are way to special to rush through!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I'm Val and your newest GFC follower!! I love your work and look forward to following you in 2015! I hope ya stop by and if ya like what ya see, follow too! (I also have a Tuesday linky you might like!) Glad I found your blog. Val from myplvl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!