Saturday, September 27, 2014

Excitement

There was a helluva thunderstorm last week.  We took the dogs out to the side yard and watched the clouds swirl, and the sky turn to a sickening yellow gray.  It looked like scene from Wicked
Amidst our frolicking, and oohing and aaahing, lightning struck very close (I do not recommend you frolic in a thunderstorm unless you have very good life insurance and a change of underpants), followed by the loudest thunderclap I have ever witnessed.  My ears are still ringing.
We practically tripped over each other running for the back door, the dogs way ahead of us.  Big dog sailed like superman into the pool (weird), little dog hit the screen door running (no time to check if it's open when your life's in danger) and bounced back 4 feet. Safely inside, we began talking loudly all at once, excited to still be alive. We watched the storm for another 10 minutes, before it moved quickly to the next county.
That was my excitement for the week.  Get a life right?

The first cold/flu bug of the season has arrived, and each of us came down with it within 2 days of the person before them. With so much coughing and nose blowing and moaning, our house sounds like a hospital ward.  Since I was last to be infected, I was beginning to feel a bit smug.  Look at me, and my stellar immune system, I thought.  I'm not going to get this!  Ha!  I ended up with bronchitis and a sinus infection for which I was given an antibiotic that doesn't like me (adverse reaction) and switched out to another one which doesn't feel like it's doing anything but screwing with my digestion. So, I haven't accomplished much this week, except pushing the vacuum around one day, and laying on the couch hand quilting. Thank goodness I had something portable to work on.


I sewed the block together by hand, then attached the borders and binding by machine, followed by hand quilting.  That's my kind of excitement.


12 comments:

  1. My family likes to go outside when there's a thunderstorm but I am so scared of them! LOVE your little mini. The colors just makes my insides sigh and the stitching is fabulous.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-ha-ha! I could see it as you were telling the story. Too funny, but very dangerous too. Very nice block. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart being sick, the last to fall always gets it the worst. I bet you almost peed your pants with that big storm, we get crazy skies like that and big huge booms on thunder here pretty often, bu that sky of your reminds me of tornadoes, glad you were safe.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you're all ok! I used to love thunderstorms when I lived in California and they were weeny and a rarity. I now live in Virginia and have more than a healthy respect for their potential! Yikes...your story made my tummy hurt! Like I said, glad you're all ok! The bug and the feeling of smug...I resemble that remark...but I still haven't gotten it (please don't let my typing those words serve as a jinx)...fingers and toes crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear the nasty bug caught up with you! But look what you have to show for it! I love your little mini quilt- I love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earlier this year, I was out walking two of our dogs when the sky was looking decidedly moody. There was an almighty clap of thunder which had me crouching down and covering my head with my arms. One of the dogs would have run off if she hadn't been on a lead. When I'd composed myself, I looked across the river to the forest and saw where I think the lightning had struck. There was a thin stream of smoke rising. I'm just pleased we hadn't been standing there.
    I love your mini. I love the pattern the stitching and your choice of fabrics. I'm off to check out where you got the templates for it.
    Hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a book when the kids were little - hoppity 's first thunderstorm - hoppity gets chocolate milk and a cookie to stop him bring scared, and my (then) 6 and 3 year olds thought that was a great idea, last big storm in uk (we don't get even small ones very often) my ( now) 23 year old got up snd made herself and flat mates hot choc and cookies!!!!! Sounds like yours was a belter of a storm! Hope you all feel better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was enought excitment for one week.
    Get well soon!
    KATRIN W.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...that was some storm. I did giggle at your recount of it...(so glad that you all lived to tell the tale). That will teach you for being smug. Your mini is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be so nice if we could have fall and winter without the flu! Hope you. Get time to snuggle lots. Get better

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Oh man, the little dog bouncing off the screen door made me laugh so hard...I'm glad you all made it alive back to the kitchen. And look at that beautiful quilting, with a resp.infection and everything! What a pro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made me laugh out loud reading about your messing around in the storm then running for cover! we did something similar a few months ago and scared oursleves silly, we had pink lightening after the gathering rolling weird yellowy clouds - all very exciting until it got a bit unnerving and we too ran for cover! But there is something exhilarating about watching one come overhead.
    Sorry to hear you've all been unwell - we have all this to come as the weather has just changed here in the UK - it was an Indian summer this morning when we went out for a long autumn walk, warm and still, t-shirt weather, but Autumn by the time we got home - winds and lashing rains that lasted hours, the leaves coming down all around, and a big temperature drop! So casserole weather at last (one on the hob as I type!)!
    Keep warm!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!