Friday, June 22, 2012

Turn down the volume

I just saw something fun a few days ago.  It was a drop-everything-I- gotta-try-this moment. (Well anyway, it was new to me).  Have you ever heard of  Low Volume quilts?
The idea is to use fabrics that are neutral, with minimal color, white backgrounds etc.  Like this....
I pulled everything I had from my stash, which was really lacking in neutrals, and then ran off to my LQS, and bought some fat quarters. While there, I asked if anyone had heard of low volume quilts.  Nope. 
Pam was helping me, (she is so fun.  I always try to go in when she is working) and said that quilters usually don't have a lot of these types of fabrics in their stash.  I certainly didn't.

When I got home, I put some log cabin blocks together, and here is what it looks like so far.....
 There is something soft and pretty about all these lighter fabrics side by side. They almost blend. Rather than being in the background, they are the main event.  It's a different way of looking at neutrals, and I like that.  I even used the back side of some of my brighter fabrics to get a more muted affect. Go check out the beautiful quilt Karen is making over at Sew Peachey (send her some new blogger love).  She also has a link to a Low Volume QAL on flickr where you can see more of these types of quilts.
I'm going back to play some more.  Ssshhhh!  Keep it down : )

11 comments:

  1. Your blocks are looking great!! Aren't they are so addictive! And thanks for the blog love!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I wish I could just 'put together some log cabins...' Is there such a thing as a Low Skill Quilt? Looking forward to seeing this finished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are looking really lovely. It's a really nice idea, can't wait to see more!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is stunning! i love the idea of turning down the volume! this is so inspiring!

    x kate x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh myyyyyyy! I just had a drop-everything moment, too. What a lovely, dreamy, soft, gorgeous idea! Guess I'm not cleaning the garage today... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lynne,
    I am consumed with envy for the bloggers/crafters out there who make quilts and who have such a visionary experience with fabric.....it sort of reminds me of Roman priestesses who could predict the future through the entrails of sacrified animals. OK I'm weird I know...my imagination goes a bit haywire sometimes.LOL! I love your expression "send her some new blogger love"...I'll use that if you don't mind?
    Thanks for your comments on my last post. That fiesta is very exhausting and as is the case this evening I stay at home..... I've had it!! My grand-daughter was so full of herself and an experience she'll never forget.

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't really heard of that either until I saw leanne's (shecanquilt) - very fun to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are so pretty. i love the fabrics and color combinations, very soft and delicate. i can't wait to see it when it's finished.
    laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, Lynn!
    First time I heard of low volume, actually a good idea. Immediately you have that faded, vintage, soft look. Going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. low volume...I really like this look. Very nice :)
    m.

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!