Friday, June 29, 2012

Summer shawl

I love making shawls.  It was one of the first patterns I tried when I was learning how to crochet.  I have three on the hook right now, including a half granny in Noro Silk Garden (so far I have a love/hate relationship with this yarn.  It comes off the ball a bit stiff, like kitchen twine, but then has a nice drape when it's made up.  I hope it softens up a little), and another Sweet November in a pretty yellow.  I will probably post about them when they are finished, but I just wanted to share the beautiful color on this one.
This is going to be the Dory Shawl found on Ravelry.  I'm using Berroco Pure Pima in #2225, cool blue, with a J hook.  I LOVE this color!  The yarn is lovely to work with and has a slight sheen to it. It's going to be great to wear on summer evenings!
The bird nest is real by the way. I found it on the ground years ago after a storm.  Just wanted you to know I don't go around stealing bird nests from trees just to decorate my house.  You never know if they are done with it or not.  I brought it in the house and put it in a plastic bag in the freezer for a few days to kill of any vermin that may have been living inside. Then I bought the little wooden egg to go with it, and have used it on table top displays for years now.  I never tire of looking at it.

I'm slowly working on my low-volume log cabin.  Iv'e decided to back it with voile, use wool batting and then tie it.  I'm going for poofy, smushy, quilty goodness.   I can't wait to get under this one!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dear Lynne, I am curiously waiting your crochet shawl finished.. I visited the sites you shared. But your crochet shawl seems more beautiful than the others.. Yours color is so beautiful. Very pretty blue..
    And as always all your quilts are so perfect. That is so so hard for me..:))
    Best wishes.. Blessings..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous blue, very muted. I like the bird's nest under the dome, looks very arty!
    Looking forward to seeing your quilt finished, (no pressure) again, you make it look so easy. It makes me feel that even I could have a bash at one!
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that color too :) your quilt is looking wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can't even believe how much I love that quilt. I kind of want to print your photo in poster size and hang it over my couch. What will I do when it's finished??? Also, I have that exact cake plate. Great minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great 4th July Lynne

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello...I've found you via Kristen. I too am making the Dory shawl at the moment with a fine merino yarn and a 3.5mm hook. Boy is it tough going with this size yarn and hook! I'm very much looking forward to seeing yours finished; the yarn colour you have chosen is very much "me"! Your quilt is gorgeous too... Hope you have an enjoyable 4th July x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled upon your blog tonight. You make some beautiful items. You have inspired me to do some quilting. I have been lost in the world of bagmaking , sewing dresses and learning how to crochet. Time to go back and finish my quilt. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous projects.

    ReplyDelete

You guys are awesome! Thank you for the comments!